At American Building Inspectors, we know how important it is to maintain your yard during the fall season. Here are some tips to help you cleanup & prepare your yard for the winter months:
1. Remove the leaves: A carpet of colorful autumn leaves may look nice, but they
can block light and trap moisture, which can be harmful to your grass. Make sure to rake or blow away the leaves as often as you can while performing fall yard maintenance.
2. Keep cutting: Grass continues to grow up until the first hard frost, so be sure to keep mowing your lawn to keep it at an ideal height of 2 ½ to 3 inches as yard maintenance.
3. Continue watering: Many people tend to stop watering their lawn during the fall, but it’s important to keep your grass roots well hydrated and healthy going into the winter. Make sure your lawn is getting at least an inch of water per week until the end of October.
4. Loosen the soil: Regular aeration can prevent soil from becoming compacted and covered with thatch, which can block water, oxygen, and nutrients from reaching the soil. Use a core aerator to punch holes through the thatch and pull up plugs of soil.
5. Seed your lawn: Seeding your lawn in early fall can help make it green and thick in the following spring. September is the ideal month for this task.
By following these fall yard maintenance tips, you can help ensure that your lawn stays healthy and beautiful throughout the winter months and into the spring. If you have any questions or concerns about your property, don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.